Loading...

NEW WASHINGTON MUNICIPAL TOURISM, CULTURE AND THE ARTS AFFAIRS

MAGICAL NEW WASHINGTON

MTCAA

Welcome to
New Washington

Established on January 15, 1904, the municipality was named after the first president of the United States, George Washington, as a tribute to the Thomasites, a group of American teachers who in the early 1900s established a new public education system in the Philippines , taught basic education, and trained Filipino teachers with English as medium of instruction. The municipality was formerly called Fonda Lagatik, which was derived from Lagatik River that stretches along some of the municipality's barangays at a length of 9.6 kilometers(6.0mi). The municipality has a land area of 66.69 square kilometers constituting 3.66% of 1,821.32 sq. km. of the total land area of Aklan. New Washington is bounded by Batan in the east, Kalibo in the west and the Sibuyan Sea on the North. It is 7 kilometers (4.3mi) from Kalibo International Airport, 9 kilometers (5.6mi) from the province's capital town of Kalibo, and one and a half (11/2) hours away from Boracay Island.

16

Barangays of

New Washington

47,955

Total

Population